Monday, April 4, 2011

Session 6

Wow, what a distraction Second Life can be when you’re trying to finish an assignment. I hadn’t logged in for three months when I went back to one of my favorite music clubs and became mesmerized by all the bursting electronic confetti they added:


Defining online identity in Second Life

As is standard for virtual worlds, you choose a 3-dimensional avatar. First-time users usually have a small array of premade avatars to choose from, then you “wear” your avatar and start exploring (I’ve heard secondhand that most first-timers to a VW choose the avatar that closely resembles themselves). 


From my experiences in Second Life, I believe that an online identity is first and foremost defined by your appearance, which is tied to how much you’re willing to spend on it. Here’s a snapshot a virtual mall where you can buy clothes to outfit your avatar:


Avatars are not only limited to human-like figures, however. You can buy “skins” that will transform you into a robot or grizzly bear or anything that freelance developers come up with.

Goths seem to be everywhere in SL, and this is great for people who are mostly into the look and fashion, before the music and poetry. It’s easy to dismiss a subculture as nonsense just because the fashion disagrees with your own aesthetics, but in any subculture you just have to scratch the surface and find something fascinating or unexpectedly intellectual about it. Unfortunately, most of the people who randomly pass through goth clubs never get to see this depth in SL.

In comparison to Hodkin’s article on goth online identity in the UK, I feel that with long-distance networked goths, the self-presentation through blogs seems to be the most genuine out of all the other alternatives. I kept thinking to myself that they fled the mailing lists precisely because the comparatively smaller size of the emails limited them from fully expressing themselves. It would be egregious to fill up pages and pages of an email with personal photos and musings. To me, the goth movement always seemed to have a strong element of self-absorption and self-loathing and it can be difficult to reach that dark place within yourself if you don’t have the actual space in which to chart and catalog that journey, which is what the structure of blog posts facilitate. 

Wellman’s definition of networked individualism

According to Wellman, the phenomenon of networked individualism can be attributed “to the move from densely-knit and tightly-bounded groups to sparsely-knit and loosely-bounded networks” happening at the “organizational, interorganizational and even the world-systems levels.” I can’t say that his definition of networked individualism applies to my own experience with Second Life. Despite all the time that I have spent on it, I just can’t seem to reasonably expand my network. My only SL friends are the classmates from last semester who I worked with on required SL projects. I have one or two long-distance friends who I met at library-related events, but nothing beyond that. I have a difficult time myself trusting unknown avatars, and I'm sure there are others who feel the same about mines.

Trust is definitely established by the level of fame you acquire within your groups. If your avatar name consistently appears with notable events, others are more likely to trust and want to establish a friendship with you. 

Three informal use scenarios

“Sunny day” scenarios

1. Typical need: Learn how to animate the avatar
Location: 80s dance club
Steps:
  1. Observe other dancing avatars and their movements
  2. Attempt to imitate with available, known affordances (motion arrows, buttons, menu options)
  3. Fail.
  4. Ask other avatars how they are dancing, and get your answer.
  5. Click on the disco ball and start dancing!

2. Typical need: Finding activities to do in SL, like surfing
Location: Beach
Steps:
  1. Find out where beaches in the immediate vicinity are
  2. If no beaches can be found nearby, look in a search engine for teleports to suitable spots. These are usually concentrated in blogs, sometimes with ratings and comments from other users.
  3. Teleport to spot, look for waves.
  4. Find surfboards, or purchase a free one in the Marketplace.
  5. Struggle with getting the board off the rack and onto the water (sounds easier than it actually is).
  6. Finally, surf!
“Rainy day” scenario
3. Typical need: Find employment in SL, particularly as a DJ
Location: Any music club
Steps:
  1. Attend a musical event.
  2. Ask the host/other guests how you can become a DJ.
  3. They will not offer a job on the spot, just because you have an awesome MP3 collection. Instead you find out becoming a DJ is a lengthy process of audition, with an avatar that might not give you one.
How is online identity shaped and expressed through interactions in this community?

I think it’s interesting that bodybuilders find online communities to be less isolating than the gym (Ploderer). It’s even more interesting that although the spirit of competitiveness can lead to isolation in real life, it greatly fosters online participation, as the bodybuilders find motivation to update their profiles with photos and commentary. 

In contrast to SL, your online identity and routine behavior can be tied to your profession. If you are a host, you are expected to be cheerful always and greet everyone that comes by.

I think it’s pretty sad that a bodybuilder’s reputation was hurt by accusations of steroid use. Because SL is still somewhat anonymous and private, the chances that your real-life profession and reputation would be hurt are minimal. 

Donath doubts that people of hugely differing behavioral patterns would be friends with each other. He says “An aggressive, rebellious profile linked to similar ones reinforces the writer's claims, but if linked to many mild and conservative profiles, the viewer may interpret it as a fictionalized performance or question the circumstances that led to these seemingly anomalous connections.” As I mentioned earlier, since online identity is defined primarily through appearance and clothing in SL, this might be of lesser concern there. Unlike Facebook or other such sites, it is not as simple to view another user’s friends. There are no activity feeds to look at, almost zero personal photos, and no comments. I can’t be entirely sure that Donath’s assertion would apply universally, because I have seen cases in real life where rebellious folk surrounded themselves with very conservative people, and vice versa. This is most likely true in Second Life as well.

10 comments:

  1. It is interesting to see the comparison between something like Facebook and Second Life. I've never used Second Life, so I'm glad you posted about how little textual information you can get from another user - friend lists, profiles, and activity history are essential to a Facebook identity. I think I find the lack of historical context most interesting. On Facebook you can see in one glance what type of conversations a particular user is having with others on the site. Everything they say and everyone they interact with is documented for their Friends to view later. If the user wants to present a specific persona, they have to consistently use that persona throughout the site. In contrast, on Second Life it seems like you could act one way in one place and act entirely differently with another group of people. Perhaps this is part of the problem in trusting another avatar?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ahhh... the Second Life.. I remember the challenges (Dr. Nahl's class ?)

    I agree with the concept that the online identity in Second Life is built upon how often the user uses the site as your avatar name will constantly be on notable events.

    I found the site to be unpredictable, at times there could be alot of users online while at other times it could be difficult to meet another avatar.

    It is also noteworthy, that some of the people on Second Life represent an authority figure in their "real-life" fields and then extend this onto their Second Life such as Dr. Nahl who may work the reference desk.

    An interesting site and good choice for observation :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Andrea is right that perhaps the lack of a public history or log of interactions makes trust difficult to establish here. I haven't spent too much time on Second Life, but what I do remember is spending the majority of my time working on my avatar's appearance. I logged on for a live chat session with other library students and professionals and was quickly revealed as a newbie because I had default clothing and hair. After the chat, I tried to make myself over before exploring the site, but realized that I needed to buy better hair and buy better clothes.

    My poor avatar looks positively whipped now. I somehow managed to lose my shoes and make my hair a wood-stain color with a big bald spot on the top of my head. It was a disaster.

    Yet, I noticed that during the chat, some folks had customized logos on their avatars T-shirts. To me, it was quite obvious who the amateurs and the avid users were. Believe it or not, this makes a difference when it comes to participating in the discussion, too. I didn't make a peep/type a line throughout the whole chat because I felt out of place and out of sorts. Upon reflection, my story would have been a great rainy day scenario.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great post! Wow, Second Life (SL) really can draw users in with so many affordances available immediately when logging in. The virtual wall was amazing, as it had so many choices for the user. In this sense, I wonder if that amount of choices entices or detracts from first-time users experiences. When considering your level of trust, I wonder if it is different due to SL being a synchronous virtual world, where the user is aware that other users are on-line at the same time, as opposed to asynchronously. In this sense, meeting new avatars may have a similar impact to meeting people in real life, as responses occur quickly, as opposed to thinking about a friend request for some time before accepting or rejecting it.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Nana, great post! I've used SL before but didn't really get much beyond choosing an avatar, dressing her, and try to figure out how to fly & teleport - I never got to having to make friends. So when you said you don't know who to trust, I'm wondering, is SL life FB where you have to accept or reject pp as your friend and if you accept them, they have greater access to your profile & information? I sort of understood SL to be a 'free for all' (can interact with anybody) type of environment but now I'm realizing that there may be more privacy/ security controls in place. Thanks for sharing & bringing up a virtual world.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great post Nana, I do agree that SL has so many powerful usability. The usability is not only for entertainment but also for learning. Our department, ETEC, use SL for some online classes. In addition, the introduction of our program is also utilized a SL session. Currently, many conferences in technology have add SL sessions on their conference schedule. This is an extraordinary improvement on doing a conference and improving how people can interact form a distance by using their avatar.

    ReplyDelete
  7. While your post is excellent and thought-provoking throughout, I'm going to seize on one minor aspect: with all this wondrous technology, we're still judging each other by our clothes ;). In the real world there is such a thing as being overdressed, overstyled, or otherwise "trying too hard" with one's fashion--I wonder if there is something of a schism between those who rock generic avatars (=noobs?) vs. those who purchase appearance upgrades and uniqueness. I would seem to me that other rainy day scenarios would occur when someone's avatar gets in the way of a potential interaction, because it's too generic, over-the-top, or something in between.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I had a similar thought with what Dr. Gazan mentioned. Since an avatar is a huge part of what a user's identity is in a 3d world, I wonder if appearance is as important as it is in the real world. It may be possible that there is an opposite reaction. There is much less risk in communicating with someone online, so a user may not care so much about how another person looks when compared to real-life.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I think people in Second Life care about their appearance the same as in real life—or more than real life; because I struggled with dressing up my avatar when I first joined Second Life, and no one came to me since I certainly appeared to be a newbie, with the default looking avatar. Also, the difficulty of navigating the virtual world, finding landmarks, and joining events to get Linden dollars made me give up on Second Life. I felt you need to work on your avatar really hard until you get people’s attention, usually based on appearance, and how long you spend in Second Life decides the level of trust between users.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thank you everyone for your thought-provoking comments, I will take them into much consideration when doing my project. I do think the SL community can be harsh on the default newbie avatars. I remember going to a conference that a librarian was speaking at (she wore one of the default models), and another avatar had the nerve to purposely wear the exact same model and stand in front of her while she was presenting, distracting the audience in the process.

    I agree that in real-life we also judge people by clothes, but I wanted to put SL in the context of other 1, 2, 3D reality-based online communities. As far as 3D worlds, the overall impression I get is that SL puts more emphasis on appearance--specifically looking outrageous and exhibitionist--than the rest.

    ReplyDelete