Sunday, January 16, 2011

Session 1

A complete bibliography of references in blog posts can be found here: http://www2.hawaii.edu/~gazan/ICS691-S11-syllabus.html

I first heard of this tragedy through an entry from Roger Ebert’s Twitter, which I subscribe to: http://twitter.com/ebertchicago/status/23832983249092608. Ebert tweets “How long will Palin leave these comments on her facebook?” and links to her Facebook status update: “My sincere condolences are offered to the family of Rep. Gabrielle Giffords and the other victims of today's tragic shooting in Arizona. On behalf of Todd and my family, we all pray for the victims and their families, and for peace and justice.” Comments flew back and forth between posters, guessing who the shooter was, and what his/her political affiliations were (from the left or the right?). That is all I initially knew of it through these two social media outlets. I quickly consulted Google News for more information.  Who was Gabrielle Giffords? What had happened in Tucson? Was Palin in any way linked to/somehow responsible for this incident? 

I think the more vitriolic comments have since been taken down, but I surmise that they were there initially, from one commenter Lori’s recent post: “Many didn't blame her for the Tucson shooting, but asked her to join the call for civility in the country and take responsibility for whatever part she has personally played in it. She chose, instead, to remove anything that even looks like less than fan adoration instead.”

Palin’s connection to this incident has been linked to the now-infamous “crosshairs map,” targeting on-the-fence Democrats, which she posted on Facebook first, then tweeted about later. http://www.crainsnewyork.com/article/20110113/FREE/110119917. This article, “Sarah Palin learns Web has no Undo Feature” states: “Sometimes you make a mistake in the digital realm and you need to fix it. But once something is out on the Web and in social networks, you cannot erase it. Instead, you must apologize and move on.”

The crosshairs map has been cached and could remain in Google’s servers for eternity. The participant in Nardi’s (2004) study who blogged a famous quote to her followers “In a 100 years it will all be over,” may not have had such an incident in mind. Anything placed on the Internet then, (unfortunately?) becomes fair game. 

To elaborate more on Nardi’s study, it does bring up something that has already been discussed many times over in the zine community. Zines to me are basically the forerunner to the blog. Anyone with access to paper, ink, and a copy machine could self-publish and distribute what could be described as “magazines.” The topics ranged anywhere from the political to the personal (referred to sometimes as “perzines”). With perzines in particular, what should you publish… and what should instead be left in your diary? I recall an interview a popular perzine author who said almost the exact same thing in response to a question on how she decided what to publish about her personal life.

As a side note, I notice once in awhile that people who are lively, entertaining, energetic, witty in person... don't always translate this into their blogs. It can be a little disappointing. I wonder if it stems from not wanting to reveal too much about themselves in an online environment, or if the online environment just makes them uncomfortable. Conversely, sometimes a quiet person can suddenly becomes “alive” in online forums.

Something addressed in both Beer (2007) and Herring’s (2004) articles is the concept of Web 2.0’s more open, democratic, and participatory nature.  As in Herring’s study, Roger Ebert’s Twitter (though not exactly a blog) became my personal news filter, initially informing me of the incident. And as his followers know quite well (raise your hand!), his frequent daily updates, supplemented with his regular blog, more than make up for the 140-character tweet limit. So if he’s unable to make a point in one tweet within the 140-character limit, in the next few minutes he will roll out a series of tweets to clarify the last, or link to a detailed blog entry.

However open and participatory we may like the Web to be, there is a dark side, according to Tenopir (2007), who says, “When anyone can add unfiltered, unvetted, and unattributed information to a growing array of social networking sites—sites some people rely on for their news or research—we have a dangerous dumbing-down of culture.” I can only speak for myself, that I do know the difference between a credible source, and a deceptive one, but I can see where her concerns might arise from.

I didn’t talk about boyd (2007) or Dibbell (1998) yet in this entry, but I do have a brief comment for both. The concept of “copy-and-paste literacy” cited by boyd was novel and interesting for me. And reading Dibbell’s article brought me back to the novel Snow Crash. Was that the same for anyone else?

To me, social computing shifts away from pure computing, and places more of an emphasis on the user, especially communities of users. It's a useful framework to analyze and study communities that have grown from Internet applications.



7 comments:

  1. Because it kind of acts as white noise, I do my homework while listening to Coast-2-Coast AM, a talk show that usually discusses strangeness like UFOs, conspiracy theories, and paranormal encounters. Your use of the Tenopin quote totally reminded me of the times I've heard callers talk about how "John Smith wrote on (Insert conspiracy blog here) about the existence of bigfoot, so it is DEFINITELY TRUE!"

    They sound sincere in their belief that the information they found on these rather fringe websites is true. The incredible credulity they exhibit saddens me a little, since I would rather they, at the very least, check their information against a credible source. I hope classes that teach information literacy are being offered as part of K-12 education in America; because some of the things those callers believe can be a little scary.

    I've never really got into Twitter, but now I'm intrigued and want to check out Roger Ebert's account. Also, I need to re-read Snow Crash, so thanks for reminding me about that book. Great post!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Following twitter and consulting Google have become the parts of our life. A part of our life when we want to get to know quickly about something news, current event that we are not familiar with. By the times go, and with the maturity of the social computing system, I think we are in naturally learn to be criticized on reading the information. We employ the quick broadcast of these tools, but we keep our eye and ear open to possibility of something that only a assumption.

    That's why I agree with one of the quote from Sarah Palin that you include in this blog. In the digital world, being criticized is important, either as a users or a participants. While as, I think in the era of web 2.0, most of people are users as well as a participants of social computing elements.

    Thank you also for sharing about Zing. This is something new for me.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I totally agree with you said about the blogs of cool, entertaining people that to not translate. I think you are right; it may have something to do with not wanting to disclose. Perhaps, entertaining, engaging people in real life do not need to be entertaining and engaging in the virtual world. Conversely, people who have a hard time coming out of their shell in real life, may be more comfortable in the distance that comes with a virtual world.

    I also use twitter to filter my news and information. I find that my ADD self much prefers a 140 character micro-blog to the regular blogs.

    Perhaps Dr. Gazan will let us do assignments as a series of tweets....maybe....possibility?.... ;)

    Also, your definition of social computing is spot on. It really is about community, that is why the early social networking sites took off; people wanted to be part of a community. And I would hazard to guess that the reason why many social networking sites fade away (MySpace) is that the community grows up and changes. Perhaps Facebook has staying power because it grows and changes with the community.

    Thanks for posting this, I really enjoyed reading it.

    ReplyDelete
  5. What an interesting blog.. and actually the first one I have EVER read.. First, I didint know Ebert was such an interesting fellow and I do find it frightening that it may be difficult to differentiate a good source from a bad source... second.. as a normally quiet person I am still having a hrad time with thsi blogging idea.. Its difficult for me to just write on and on- do I sound dumb? Am I making sense? And who would even want to read what Ive written.. This class will be challenging yet engaging for me.. yikes!

    ReplyDelete
  6. A common theme in your post is the idea of social forgetting, which has a fairly rich literature. The basic idea is that as a society we have always had mechanisms to allow certain records to be sealed, expunged or otherwise forgotten after a time, but the Web wasn't built to support this. Deleting content and revising history may be possible on one's own site, but with so much archived, tweeted, reposted and screenshotted doing so only provides evidence about the ways in which people are attempting to alter the record.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thank you for introducing Zines and the novel “Snow Crash”. After reading your post I read it and was surprised with the author’s creativity and ideas which were SF at that time, but have become true today, like creating an avatar to have another identity in a virtual world.

    Also, regarding Google cached pages, I thought it was convenient that you could still get information which was already removed by the writer, until I found my personal information kept and cached at an online shopping website. I finally had it removed by making several requests to Google.

    ReplyDelete