While I was living overseas, I knew of other Americans who coped with culture shock for the first few months by holing themselves up in their rooms, immersed in their own social networks back home. They didn’t go out much and occasionally would lament, “I just don’t have anything in common with the people around me.” For one, the majority of real-life people surrounding them spoke in a language foreign to them, and for another, the handful of people who did speak English came from all walks of life and backgrounds. They weren’t really into the idea of friendships/community by accident of proximity, which Galston (2000) wants us to think, is really not so bad. It would have been healthy for these people to reach out to others, not to mention lessen the effects of culture shock; tons of articles have been written on the emotional and mental health benefits of a real-life, good old-fashioned friendship. I am now friends with one of those people who started out that way, and we found out eventually that we did have a lot in common.
What’s so persuasive about Galston’s article is that he starts out with the example of television, and how destructive it has been to American society. Before, we used to let our children roam the streets and play until evening, but now that’s been replaced by television and violent video games. We don’t know our neighbors and communities anymore; they have become depersonalized to the extent that we may actually fear them (while watching the evening news we may have good reason to be). In a prophetic manner, he is warning us of the further damage our society could be doing to itself by being ‘duped’ into this notion that we are fostering communities online.
I for one, believe that it may be too early to tell. He gave one example of how online communities were useful, with one ‘lone archivist in a city library system’ but didn’t give examples of how online communities have actually been life-affirming for traditionally marginalized and oppressed groups. Perhaps because it would have contradicted his argument entirely.
By noting that “text is an impoverished medium for communicating emotion, intent, real meaning,” Weeks (2009) concurs with Galston’s overall thesis, and brings up a drastic point using the mother who had threatened her baby’s life (or so it appeared) on Twitter. Is this what Albrechtslund (2008) had in mind when he suggested that surveillance could be potentially empowering? On the contrary, the mother’s own self-surveillance had turned into self-incrimination, when the police showed up on her doorstep.
There was very little I agreed with in this article. Although Albrechtslund, and even Galston, say that these communities are non-hierarchical and based on mutuality, I have spent enough time in online communities to observe that they are not. For example, I have been in virtual worlds where my female avatars were outright harassed and humiliated by male avatars. Now I take on a male avatar if I want to freely enjoy what certain VWs have to offer. This is not empowerment (Galston would point out that it is an example of loss of “voice”). Gender inequality aside, what about the hierarchy that exists between longtime users and “newbies” in online communities? It is almost military-style protocol that newbies have to follow to avoid being ostracized. Or the folks that consistently dominate message boards, intimidating and silencing those who are afraid to post comments? Are these not examples of hierarchy?
Out of the all of the articles, possibly the one that resonated with me the most is Rosen’s (2007). Rather than empowering users, according to Rosen, self-made profiles encourage narcissism, deception, falsification of oneself. “One’s entrĂ©e into this world generally isn’t through a virtual neighborhood or community but through the revelation of personal information.” Users of SNSs peer pressure their friends and family into joining and actively participating in them. By not participating you give off the impression that you’re someone who just doesn’t care about the lives of your friends and families, nevermind worries about privacy and other issues.
Bigge (2006) is in agreement with Rosen over the notion that a lot of us are practically forced into these social networks, by peer pressure or perhaps a force more powerful (like a snazzy interface, perhaps?). And once you’re in, accumulating a ton of friends can become a major goal, although I do have to say that it varies from person to person and depends heavily on the users’ real-life personalities. A lot of my more outgoing friends have near or surpassed 1,000 friends on Facebook, while the more quieter types have less than 100.
Bigge brings up a really good point about how users of SNSs provide free labor and free advertising to these companies, simply by their usage. One company turned this idea into a real charity, which I noticed that none of the articles addressed, and so I went to investigate this:
The image I commented on:
The image I commented on:
Although toilet humor abounds on this one website, its actual mission is not something to laugh about. Simply by visiting and using the site, which relies heavily upon advertisements, you can make money for charity (I can already feel some jaded/suspicious people rolling their eyes, I know, but I still think that the idea itself is great). From one visit, by the time I had finished browsing, I made around 5 cents in 10 minutes for New Orleans Habitat for Humanity, just by commenting on others pictures and clicking on various internal pages. 1.1 cents is donated each time you write 140 characters or upload a picture. If you're interested in participating, just be careful if they ask for credit card or phone numbers, but I think clicking on things and uploading images is safe enough...
To raise funds in the past I have: answered telephones, stood for hours selling cookies, held signs in the hot sun, washed cars, wore strange outfits, bugged all my friends and relatives to buy expensive coupons, etc. This was by far the easiest way for me to raise money. I don't think I would've been able to replicate this experience in real-life.
To raise funds in the past I have: answered telephones, stood for hours selling cookies, held signs in the hot sun, washed cars, wore strange outfits, bugged all my friends and relatives to buy expensive coupons, etc. This was by far the easiest way for me to raise money. I don't think I would've been able to replicate this experience in real-life.

Nana - I like your post this week - it was unique and you brought up some good points. At first I thought you were taking on an anti-social networking site perspective when you talked about living overseas and some Americans holing up in their rooms and how television has influenced american culture. Then you noted that you thought it was too early to tell if snss are a good thing or not.
ReplyDeleteI have mixed feelings in general about social networking, online communities, and its impact on american culture. Your anecdote on your friend overseas hit a chord with me however and I can relate. In 1999, I spent a year in Brazil as a foreign exchange student before social networking sites or skype and when there was still only dial-up. E-mail was common and AIM was just beginning to take off. Despite this the limitations onilne, we were still very discouraged with keeping too close connections with our families and friends back home online. This, we were told, would get in the way with our immerision. I guess they didn’t want us to be like your friends who holded up in their rooms and didn’t want to make "friends by accident of proximity.” I personally didn’t spend too much time online (the dial-up and cost made it hard) but I can remember how sometimes I did get frustrated when I read email from friends back home. I felt very “torn” between two places. It made more sense for me just to live in Brazil and mostly detach myself from life back home.
I do realize that not everyone wants to do this though. One difference between me and your American friends could be that I chose to be a foreign exchange student and learn about a new culture and make new friends, while some of your friends’ “parents” could have maybe chosen to re-locate them around the world. Sometimes one doesn’t want to be living where they are and spending time online makes for a good escape and allows them to continue on as if they were “back home.” As you pointed out though, sometimes it’s just pushing yourself to make those “friends by accident” and it can turn out to be a really good thing.
My first year of college I was one of those people holed up in their rooms! I didn't know about SNSs yet but I was very reliant on AIM for my social needs. I can tell you it was the worst few months of my life. I've since realized that online communication is a great way to keep in touch with distant friends, but can't take the place of face-to-face socializing. I think everyone discovers that eventually, which is partly what motivated the question I investigated in my own blog.
ReplyDeleteI like your comments on hierarchy. The power and control hierarchies in offline society cannot be stripped from online communities. Total anonymity would be as close as we can come - no signs gender, race, class, profession, etc - but certain personalities will still dominate others.
www.freerice.com is another site that uses advertising income for charity. I used it to study for the GREs, and it looks like it has been adding more social networking features since then.
You make some really interesting points that I hadn't considered before. I guess every person's experience with social networks is different... for example I never consciously felt pressured to make a Facebook or Twitter account, but it was somewhat of a her mentality. Everyone would sign up to those new sites so I would too, regardless of the fact if I would actually use them later (Facebook turned out to be pretty useful when it came to staying connected with family and acquaintances that I did not want reading my online journal, but my Twitter account is still sitting unused).
ReplyDeleteYour description of online hierarchies is also spot-on. I've always tried to avoid those structures myself, but they definitely exist in many places, and a lot of status (and in many cases controversy) is attached to those at the top. For example I'm active in different fandoms, and almost all have BNFs (big name fan) who sometimes are the most creative, but more often the most vocal and self-centered people. I have discovered that in fandom it's usually not too hard to avoid those hierarchies, since there is always others who are not interested in being part of them and just want to share a common passion, but it can certainly be a problem.
The idea of raising money for charity through social media is awesome, and thanks for sharing that site! It seems almost like a mix-up of freerice.com and lolcats, combining the good cause of the former with the random fun of the latter.
After reading this post and the comments I get the feelings that online social structures are probably more similar to real life structures then most people would care to admit. I guess one advantage to online communities is that people who are generally shy can hide behind a computer screen while they break out of their shell. I tend to believe that personality traits are difficult to hide (either through writing, socializing ... ) I guess what I mean by this is that if someone is a creative thinking it would be easy to create a creative online personality but if someone is not very creative it would be difficult for that person to come off as creative, even in an online environment.
ReplyDeleteAnother thing I was thinking about during your post is the trend to be anti-SNS. I imagine that SNSs are just a step in the greater history of communication. There are some movies from the 70s where a character would be seen standing next to a pay phone waiting for it to ring because it was the only phone they used (Taxi Driver is a good example). When I see scenes like these the first thing I think of is why don't they just get a phone? Today it would be unwise not to have some sort of phone communication option. I wonder if the communication capabilities through SNSs will make phones obsolete. I know this is a bit of a tangent but I wonder if those who are unwilling to join a major SNS like Facebook are doing themselves harm in the long run because it might be the only way we communicate in the future (outside of Face to Face of course).
I've made two very random comments on your post so I should get back on track with what you originally wrote. Having just moved to Hawaii 7 months ago I thought that keeping up with friends on Facebook would be easy. The problem that I have found with this is that using Facebook for this purpose feels a lot more like surveillance then it does like communicating. I think this is because nearly 100% of all Facebook status as some aspect of real life intertwined into it. Without having a real life encounters it has been difficult for me to keep up with all of my friends and family. Maybe this has more to do with my personality, I'm not sure.
I feel like this comment has been all over the place and for that I apologize.
Very interesting post, and the use of more refined strategies beyond "pleeeze click on our sponsor ads" to benefit charities is something I hadn't seen before. Re you comment about the "military-style protocol" required of newbies, if you had to be conscious of every aspect and implication of how you were presenting yourself to a live person, imagine how hard it is to do the same on Facebook, where dozens/hundreds of people known and unknown might be judging you, and making conclusions about you in ways you can't imagine. In a situation like that, abandoning SNSs and hanging out on humor sites might be the only rational response ;).
ReplyDeleteAlphas will always make their presence known whether in RL or OL. What I find most intriguing is the closet alphas who are not consistently assertive in the two aforementioned dimensions. However, the good thing is that there an unlimited number of venues online, so passive folks don't need to stick around. Thanks be to the low exit barrier!
ReplyDelete