Sunday, February 13, 2011

Session 3

Part 1

Tedjamulia et al.’s article gave me a new perspective on certain aspects of social psychology, first of all, and also online communities. I like how the study delved into extrinsic and intrinsic motivations for OC usage. Although I do agree with their claim, the question unanswered for me though is why extrinsic motivation is so much more powerful in the online environment (under certain circumstances).

I guess if I had my own story to share, it would have been my money-making experience in Second Life. Last semester, even in the midst of a ton of homework due the following week, I managed to take a break in between projects to spend three whole hours clicking on this or that object, teleporting all around SL, and getting paid while doing so, with the promise that I could “level-up”. Once I reached a certain amount of Lindens, I could reach another level and double the amount I made, so I kept at it. I was pretty excited about making 60 whole Linden dollars in all… “I can buy lots of new outfits, bicycles, shoes for my avatar, etc.” …Then I realized it came out to like 24 cents in real life, which made me feel a little silly. But the extrinsic and intrinsic motivation were certainly there. Extrinsic being the virtual dollars I make, intrinsic the rush of getting anything for “free.”

However, like they say, time is money. I could have signed up for a part-time job that paid minimum wage and within 3 hours I would’ve made $21.75. That translates into 5,519 Linden dollars. I could’ve bought myself a virtual mansion, virtual SUV and probably my own virtual island.

Tedjamulia also mentions the need for OCs to pay attention to those with high achievement needs, since they tend to set higher goals for themselves and actually complete them. I think this is a pretty good idea, but maybe should be approached with some caution. Can we be sure that the high achievers are getting along smoothly with other users who have low-to-medium achievement needs? Also they need to be sure that they are rewarding high achievers for positive effort and not riling any of the other users.

An interesting point that Ling et al.’s article makes is that group settings tend to encourage social loafing. As an aside, this is the problem that I’ve seen happen time and again with real-life group work, which I’ve personally observed happen about 40%of the time in my own graduate school experience, and tends to be an unacknowledged problem. Also, I think they are on target about online users needing to feel unique. However, I’d like to extend this claim: it may only be true in America and several other countries, where there is an added emphasis on individuality. I wonder how this hypothesis would play out in other countries and cultures where uniqueness is downplayed, and the concept of (real life) community is elevated.

Part 2

Online community: Alternative Health on iVillage

What modes of participation are there?
A public message board that does not require an account to view, only to post. You can: start a discussion, add to a discussion, create a profile for others to view, flag inappropriate responses, subscribe to particular discussions, add tags to your own post, create macros.

How is participation encouraged?
1. Views: You can see how many times your post was viewed so even if only 1 person responded to your post, you know that you’ve made a contribution that was (perhaps) useful to someone.

2.  Quick response: Once something is posted, replies usually come within the next 2-3 days.

3. Consistent response: The designated “community moderators” are very good at not only creating original posts, but responding to members’ posts on a consistent, frequent basis. Community moderators seem to be the backbone of these forums.

4. Useful, descriptive responses: When a member asked “What types of music are calming?” people replied with the exact artists names and song titles that produce a calming effect for them.

5. Control over inappropriate comment: I’ve seen message boards goes down the tube the minute the webmaster loses control over what members are posting. Users of this particular forum (mostly women) want to be able to post in safe, friendly environment free of attacks. Not once among the 50+ posts did I see an obscene or blatantly offensive post.

Which types of content draw the most responses?
alternative medicines: 30
scents and their effect on mood: 25
calmness: 16
food: 12
creative DIY methods used in alternative health: 10

I guess I was drawn to this site because of Schrock’s claim that women tend to be more extroverted and prone to self-disclosure in online communities. I don’t think I could have proven that without a proper comparison to an online forum for men (possible term project for me?), but to zero in on a women’s forum is a start. I would say that the “community moderators” have a stronger tendency towards self-disclosure, since they are ones who not only write the most posts/replies, but more importantly, they put their real-life self-portrait in their profiles and write publicly about health issues that are perceived as very personal and private to others.

The findings of this mini-study actually seem to support the existing theory that Ridings and Gefen attempted to modify in their study: that people join SNSs to exchange information or social support. In this case, I felt that both were stronger here than the desire for friendship and recreation, with the desire to exchange information being the strongest. Social support came up second most frequently, especially in posts were users shared their various ailments with each other and offered not only remedies, but their empathy/sympathy. In my own experience with OCs, I have had the tendency first to use them as a means to socialize with friends, and then secondly as venues for information exchange.

6 comments:

  1. Very interesting story about second life :) The intrinsic rush of getting “free” items (only costing time) can definitely be a factor in on-line participation. However, I also do wonder how many people do a you did and calculate the time it takes to get “free” items and the opportunity cost that they gave up. In a parallel real life case, a person may be able to participate in a study for a small monetary reward (i.e. a $5 gift card). However, the study may take 1 hr of the person’s time. I wonder how much the extrinsic reward impacts a person’s likeliness to participate in the study, as opposed to intrinsic reward of helping a researcher. Your example also makes me think about virtual communities, where members “farm” for items sell them or their accounts. In this sense, people can sell their real accounts or virtual items (i.e. World of Warcraft), but actually make very little money. I wonder if these participants rationalize the “enjoyment” factor into their decision to “farm.”

    I also enjoyed reading about your insights into Alternative Health on iVillage. It does sound interesting that you were able to focus well on the users to see their tendencies. To add to your potential term project, you may consider also reviewing similar sites to see if you also compare the participants’ reason for joining and furthering Riding and Gefen’s (2004) idea that users join different types of groups for similar reasons. Therefore, you can review both the reasons for joining and the type of participation between men and women. Just a thought :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nice issue, no requirement for users to create an account and login for participating in an OC has been under discussion. There are proponents and opponents for this system. In the participants opinion, no requirement for having an account and login will increase their efficiency on using the OC and get the benefit form the OC. What make users/participants reluctant to participate is after you registered and create an account, you still have to verify your account to be able to login. This is inconvenient and take time. However, in term of security issue, and to be able to provide a detection to spam, malicious program, and users who potentially become a suspect of vandalism, even the open access sites are still feel that an account and login to participate are safer that without login.

    ReplyDelete
  3. > Tedjamulia also mentions the need for OCs to pay attention to those with high achievement needs, since they tend to set higher goals for themselves and actually complete them. I think this is a pretty good idea, but maybe should be approached with some caution.

    I mentioned this in my post as well, but I don't quite agree with Tedjamulia's opinion about people who have high achievement needs tend contribute more on OCs. Would we consider people who rate on Amazon.com or IMDb.com more self-efficacy and have higher goals than the rest of us? If they have higher goals in general, would they spend more time working towards their real-life goals? What are they doing contributing all the time on OCs? Unless their goals are to become the most active OC participants. I wonder how many people set that as the goals. And, of course, that's not Tedjamulia's point any more.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Subtle but excellent point that motivating "high-achievers" shouldn't come at the expense of conflict with those who embrace slack. Linden dollars aren't what you'd call tangible rewards, but in-world they're just as negotiable as rating points, level titles/badges and other indicators of achievement.

    The fact that the Alternative Health site offers a view counter makes me wonder why more sites don't. And moderated sites do promise a "safer" experience--if you were interested in pursuing the project further, one question I'd ask is how people become community moderators--that path probably mirrors the values of the community. Is it, as you suggest, more about socializing and relationships than content?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sorry, I've been bad about responding to comments left on my blog. It's not that I don't read them; I do read and appreciate them all, but honestly I wonder if people are going to read my replies to them. Is there a way for us to keep track of the comments we leave on others' blogs and whether they get replies? If so, let me know.

    mbco: lol, I only recently heard about "farming" on sites like WoW. Thank you also for your advice on my term paper, that's something to take into consideration as well.

    Hansome Avatar: Yes, it can become discouraging when everything you do has to be moderated in an OC. I recently joined this online recycling group and it's totally frustrating when every single post I make has to be verified and it takes like a day for it to be posted. I wish it were instantaneous.

    susu: Yes! I'm glad you see it that way too. :) Also, you bring up a good point... are they just as productive in their real lives?

    Dr. Gazan: Yes, it's strange how powerful these rewards can be, even if not tangible in real life. Also, you bring up another really good point to consider in my term project, I do wonder what motivates people to take on leadership roles in OCs.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thank you for sharing your experience in Second Life. I think extrinsic motivation is so much more powerful in the online game environment. I used to try to win online battles as much as possible to increase my avatar level and game points. With the game points, I got items like swords or magic armor to make me more ‘untouchable’ within cyber space. I spent so much time trying to win battles until the game company allowed people to buy the items with real money. Winning games was the only way to win the battles easily. I felt the same when I started to think about time being money and the fact that making cyber money is useless. However, there were many people who sold their avatars with for real money. For them, I think the extrinsic motivation is the most important and powerful reason for joining the online community.

    ReplyDelete